How to Join
Important: When submitting your application, please read and follow ALL instructions.
If you were a member in the past – PLEASE do NOT submit a new application. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a group of authors who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, our purpose is to encourage and support published authors, strengthen the cause of literacy, and raise the quality of literature by Latter-Day Saint authors in all genres and markets.
If you are a Latter-Day Saint author who is anxious to forward the cause of literature and strive for quality in your writing, we would love to have you join us.
Benefits of becoming a Storymakers Guild member:
- Access to the guild Facebook group, where you can ask questions, share knowledge, and just talk about “writer stuff”
- Invitations to exclusive online Storymakers University events, workshops/classes for Storymakers members
- Admission to guild-only conference classes (when offered)
- Chances to receive a discount on our annual writers conferences
- Opportunities to serve on guild committees, the BOD, and to pay it forward
- Network and build lasting friendships with other authors
Upon applying for our organization, our membership chair will review your application to make sure all the requirements have been met. Once the board puts it to a vote, you will be granted membership and be able to view our Facebook Page and receive our newsletter. You will also have an opportunity to be featured, along with your work, on the guild website.
Carefully read the membership requirements below. If you qualify, please join us!
You must be a traditionally published author, Whitney finalist, an author who has a signed contract with a publisher or literary agent, or an indie author who meets the below-listed criteria; and who pays the annual dues set by the Board of Directors. The Board reserves the right to make exceptions.
Criteria for membership:
1a) Traditionally Published
-Have a book published through a traditional publisher, which must include a submission and acceptance/rejection process, an editorial process, cover and design work, printing, and distribution of the book by publisher for profit.
-A traditional publisher should bear all the costs of printing and publication, and must publish at least three books a year.
1b) Independently Published
-Have a professional edit of the qualifying book. (Proof will be required.)
-Self-published your book, either in print, ebook, or audio format.
-Made $250 net profit* on the sale of your book, either in print, ebook, or audio format or a combination of the three.
*Net profit is the amount of money earned minus all costs, including cover artist, formatting assistance, editor, advertising, etc. So if you earned $500 but your cover cost $100, you paid someone $50 to format it, and your editor cost $200, then your net profit is only $150
1c) Agented or Under Contract
-Have a signed contract with a traditional publisher for the publication of one or more titles that meet the criteria.
-OR have a contract of representation from a literary agent working with you on at least one full and completed manuscript.
For a book to qualify under ANY of the above, it must be:
- Published within the past five years.
- 50K words for adult book or 20k words for children’s book.*
- Written by the applicant. Books in which an author compiles stories, experiences, or the like from various other authors are not eligible.
*Picture books, co-authored books, and other various situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
2) You must be a member in good standing of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
3) You must support the mission and purposes of Storymakers.
4) You must not own, be employed by, nor be involved with manuscript approval for a publishing company, nor have done so for the past twelve months at the time of membership application or re-application.
5) You must pay the membership joining dues of $30 ($10 application fee and $20 annual dues). No application can be considered until application fee has been paid.
BECOMING A MEMBER – STEP BY STEP PROCESS
Follow the link at the bottom of the page to the application.
Once you have filled out and submitted the application you will be directed to a page that directs you to PayPal allowing you to pay the application fee. The application fee is required for membership. If you are having trouble with this step please contact email@example.com
After payment, you will receive an email requesting all the information we need to review your qualifications. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to insure that you receive this email and that it does not go to a spam folder.
Please do not ask to join until you are sure you meet the above requirements.
Once we receive verification of qualifications, we will begin processing your membership. If approved by the Board you will be invited to the guild and asked to pay the $20 annual membership fee. If you accept the invitation and pay the fee you will be granted access to the Facebook page and the member-only parts of the website.
In successive years, the annual membership cost is $20. PayPal is set up for autopay so that you won’t need to manually make the payment each year.
If for any reason you do not meet the qualifications for membership, your application fee will be promptly refunded.
If at any point you have questions or concerns please feel free to email email@example.com